Whether a room or space has low, typical-height or extra-high ceilings, a number of design tricks can help to maximize a space’s height. Height adds a lot to a room — it can make a space feel more open as well as add a sense of spaciousness.
Looking for tips? Here are some top designer hacks.
1. Add mirrors. Mirrors hung vertically or in a series can add instant height to a space.
2. Add an architectural feature, such as an oversized window.
3. Place artwork vertically. Horizontal artwork can help make a room feel bigger, while art placed vertically can help make a space feel taller.
4. Use light or neutral colors in a space. Light colors can make a space feel larger.
5. Add ceiling recessed lighting when possible, as lighter spaces automatically feel bigger.
1. Paint ceilings — it will reduce a room’s height.
2. Use dark or overly dark colors in a space, as it will make a room feel smaller.
3. Use large or bold patterns; they will close in a space.
4. Overstuff a space with furniture. A crowded space will feel smaller.
5. Use elements in a space that are too tall, like oversized trees or lights, which will also close in a space.